Monday, June 9, 2014

Sweden's National Day

This week, Sweden celebrated their National Day. I was expecting a huge celebration; fireworks, parties, Swedish patriotism. Syster Carlson and I wore blue dresses with yellow cardigans to celebrate the big day. When we stepped outside of our apartment, I realized that my expectations of this holiday were very different than the reality. First, there weren't any people wearing clothing of the Swedish colors or flags. I actually saw many people wearing stars and stripes, but that is just typical Swedish fashion. A friend invited us to come to a celebration on an island close to our apartment. There, Swedish songs were sung and typical dances were danced. A cannon was fired. But there wasn't a huge party that I was expecting! Later, I talked to some Swedes who told me that National Day isn't celebrated very much here in Sweden. It is looked forward to mostly because some stores are closed and people don't have to work.
 
Later that day, Syster Carlson and I went to the ice cream shop across the street from our house. We were talking and enjoying our waffle cones when I heard English. The "Heavenly Language" as I have heard it called (haha). And this English wasn't Swedish-English. This English was the REAL stuff. I turned around in my chair and asked the people behind me where they were from.  Their reply: "We are from the United States. We work for the Navy and we are stopped here for a few days". I wish I could accurately describe to you how excited I was when I talked to them!! REAL Americans in Sweden! We talked about where they were from (The South) and their lives in the Navy. We talked and talked and talked. And it was so nice!
 
I guess I have forgotten how much I miss America. I miss the prices, I miss the big portions (lol), I miss the huge choice of cereals (again, haha). But in all reality, I feel super grateful to be an American. I love Sweden more than I can describe. I love the culture, the people, the love I feel here. But I am glad to be an American! I look forward to the day when I get off the airplane and kiss American soil. (But seriously, though. I really am going to kiss it.)
 
Life is good and I am grateful that I am here. I have learned so much, and I feel incredibly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment