I am finally here in Sweden! Svierge is beautifully different than anything I have ever seen before. The first day I got here, I went to grocery store and had MAJOR culture shock when I learned that you have to pay to use public restrooms here, as well as shopping carts, and grocery bags. I almost stole a bag until my companion, Syster Christensen, told me that you have to pay for them here. Craziness.
I also need to tell you about my experience with singing in the Relief Society General Conference Choir; it was unforgettable. I am very lucky that I was able to take part in such an experience- to sing for the women of the church and for the First Presidency. It was also an incredible experience because I was able to see my mom and one of my best friends, McKell Stauffer. After the meeting, they were able to get my attention and we were able to have a little conversation through hand movements about 100 feet away from each other. It was such a tender mercy to be able to see them both.
The flights here were smooth although our group was split up. That just allowed me to have more time to call the people I love at the airport. But when I arrived at the Amsterdam airport, I felt like a fish out of water. When someone would look at me and I would smile back at them, I received so many dirty looks. Whoops.
Once I got to Sweden, I learned that I was assigned to serve in the Halmstad area. My companion and I are able to open this area for sisters, which is a really cool opportunity for me as a "greenie". I feel very blessed to be here. It is absolutely GORGEOUS. There is a big river going through the city with old chapels and such. It is beautiful plåce. Also, our apartment is incredibly nice and we live on the beach. But that is another story.
I hope you all enjoyed General Conference and learned a lot. My favorite part about General Conference was the emphasis of missionaries and members working together. That is how we will strengthen the church and help others come to know Christ.
The language is going well. I get the funniest looks when I attempt to speak Swedish. But I äm getting better!
Now for funny stories:
-I talked to a couple in Washington D.C. who is from Denmark. We were discussing their time in California and how much they loved it. Then they asked me where I was going, when I replied, "Sweden". They asked me why and I told them that I was a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Then it all got really quiet. Then I felt awkward, so I asked him, "Could we share a short message with you about the meaning of life?" Then he told us about how he was really tired. Then we just stopped talking. It was just so funny because they were both really outgoing and friendly to me, but the moment I talked about God, they were really cold. That is something that I have noticed here. No one believes in God!! ...yet. I have so many opportunities to teach of God and His love for them.
Jag älskar dig. Ni är bäst!!
Med kärlek.
Syster Hosenfeld
No comments:
Post a Comment