Hej, Hej!
I can't believe another week has come and gone. This week has been the best yet. I really love the time I am spending here at the MTC.
My companions and I are enjoying the early morning gym classes they have here. They are five days a week and include yoga, kickboxing, pilates, step, pure-cardio, and jump ropes. It is great to get up and get energized for the day. But the best part for me is that they play songs that aren't hymns. Crazy, right?! We get to exercise to dubstep and hipster music. We even did a Greek Dance like My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It was epic.
I LOVE music and have been missing listening to Indie Rock music. Sigghhhh. I know that I am in missionary mode when I sing hymns in the shower instead of my usual Lumineers or Taylor Swift.
This week I have been so blessed to receive many letters and packages. I appreciate the amazing support I have from everyone. Thank you! I am so appreciative.
This week I had the most incredible and humbling experience. I was in my room one night and realized that I had been missing my letter seal for a couple days, so I began to look for it. Didn't have any luck in my drawers or desk. So then I looked in my suitcases. No luck. I was getting really frustrated looking, so I decided that I would do what I should have done an hour ago: Pray. I prayed that I would be able to find my wax and seal. Although it sounds silly, this seal meant a lot to me because I got it in Harry Potter world and it reminded me of the adventures I had there when I competed in FCCLA Nationals. After about 15 more minutes of looking, I had a thought in my head that I should look under my desk. So I got on my hands and knees and discovered a small shelf directly behind the desk drawer. This shelf could only be seen if I opened the drawer and crawled under the desk. Guess what was on that shelf?! My seal! I knew that this small experience was a sign that Heavenly Father really does answer prayers and that he loves all of us very much. If he was willing to help me with such a insignificant and unimportant question, I know that he will help us answer the big ones, too. This experience reminded me that God is playing a role in our day-to-day lives, even if we don't see it. And an addition to that crazy story, on the same shelf, there were letters to a "Sister Melissa" that was addressed on February 1st!! It was very cool to see how my prayer was answered. It wasn't luck.
The past week has been stormy and overcast. It has been quite sad for my companion and I, who love the sun. But I think it is God's way of foreshadowing and preparing us missionaries going to Sweden for the winters we have ahead of us in Svierge. Broder Jorgeson told us that in the winters, they only have four hours of sun. FOUR. FOUR HOURS OF LIGHT. I will come back a vampire.
After a choir practice, my district lost one of our sisters! And right after was a big devotional, so imagine me among THOUSANDS of missionaries saying, "Sister Fawcett? SISTER FAWCETT!" We found her about fifteen minutes later. But it was chaos. Fun, laughable chaos.
This week, my district did "Teaching Resource Center", which is essentially Home Teaching. The people we talk to our members of the church, we simply give them a message, bear our testimonies, and give them a challenge. But in Svenksa. Surprise, surprise. I was really self-conscious because one of the people I taught was a Swede. An ACTUAL Swede. From Sweden. Who speaks perfect Svenska. Yep- I was TERRIFIED. She spoke really fast and with a crazy accent, but she was so nice and understanding. It was a great experience. I learned that I have a long way to go, but I am getting better every day.
My investigators, Christian and Adam, are doing really well. They are progressing and learning. Teaching is getting easier. And a miracle happened this week. I was able to say some sentences in Svenska without planning what I was going to say before! Such a great moment. :)
Funny stories:
I was telling my district that a friend of mine works as a mortician. But instead, I said, "My friend works as a cadaver." We were all laughing really hard and they made fun of me for it for the rest of the week. We laugh about the silliest things here.
Broder Jorgenson, one of our Swedish teachers was saying phrases in Svenksa and having us repeat him. He said, "God doesn't want us to return to Him. Whoops, that's not what I meant" all in Swedish and we repeated what he said. He laughed afterwards and told us what we said. Let's just say we aren't always sure what we are saying in Swedish. haha.
In Swedish, "The Great Apostasy" and "Garbage" are the same word. When Aldste Krebs and Beck were teaching an investigator, they asked him if he knew anything about "The Great Apostasy" and the investigator gave a weird look and pointed to the garbage.
Now that I think of it, these really aren't that funny. But at the MTC, everything is funny. I take every opportunity I have to laugh. It makes the days go by much more smoothly. :)
I love you, family and friends. Tack so mychket.
Love,
Syster Hosenfeld
No comments:
Post a Comment