Monday, November 3, 2014

 
Miracle of the week:

Syster Hoke and I have been working out of the Area Book a lot recently. Calling and contacting people who have once investigated the church. So far, we contacted many, but no success out of it. But this week, we called a family who was really interested in having us come over. When we came for the lesson, they had cookies, chocolate, and hot cocoa ready for us! They are from Iraq and are very willing to learn about Mormons Bok. We are very hopeful for them! Good things come out of working hard. I also think it is a cool opportunity to teach people here in Sweden who wouldn't have been able to learn about our faith in their native country. It is very special to me. :)
 
Most used quotes recently: 
 
-"The both of us are engaged!" Is this true? Absolutely not. But I swear that Syster Hoke and I have to say this daily! Men, why are you so creepy?
-"That is a made up word." Syster Hoke uses the most intelligent wording. She says words that I have never even heard of before. So I always accuse her of making the words up, but I know that in reality, I have lost a lot of vocabulary on my mission! :( BUT, I have gotten very good at speaking "immigrant English"
 
 
Inside.
 
We had another interesting Language Study this week. We have been looking in the paper for fun language activities when we saw an announcement of a choir concert in a Swedish church. We thought it was a great idea. We invited the elders to join in the adventure.
 
It wasn't a choir concert! It was a Morning Mass! Those little sneakers did false advertising. Once we realized what we had signed up for, it was too late to bail out. So we had an hour of signing Swedish hymns, reading from the Bible, and listening to a sermon from the priest. Yes, there was a choir involved, but it was much more than just a "concert". Why do we always get ourselves into these situations?? But on a positive note, it was beautiful and I loved learning about the culture. 
 
 
We went to a graveyard by our apartment to see the lights that are placed for Alla Helgons Dag. (All Saints' Day) It was beautiful! I really like it is more common in Sweden to celebrate October 31st with candles on graves instead of masks and candies.
 
 
Jet Lag still has its hold on Syster Hoke:
On a train.
 
 
During dinner time.
 
 
During Open Hours.
 
 
During language study.
 
 
Following the crowd. I loved listening to someone tell us about Stockholm in ENGLISH. Something that I learned: Stockholm had a witch-hunt similar to Salem. A young boy condemned his mother to death by fire at the stake because he told the village that she had set curses on her neighbors. Then more children started to accuse their mothers and women in their villages until more than twenty people had been burned at the stake for Witchcraft. They later confessed that they were lying and they were too, burned at the stake. Things you learn on a tour! haha. 
 
 
Pday from last week! We ran into a free Stockholm tour and saw  beautiful sights and sounds of the big city. 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment