Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving in Sweden

 
Thanksgiving dinner on actual Thanksgiving was a blast! We were invited to a Chilean family's house for dinner. They fed us chicken, rice, and ice cream for dessert. Then later that night we taught an Iraqi family and they fed us typical food from the Middle-East: nuts, fruit cake of sorts, and tea. (We said no to the latter, but it didn't stop them from serving it to us. We just didn't drink it. I love their culture- they are willing to do anything and everything for their guests.)
 
 
 
We had a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner last night. The family that invited us over is Scottish and Swedish, but both lived in the States for a while. It was such a strange feeling for me to eat food from home. The Pumpkin Pie, sweet potatoes, and gravy really took me back. Except for the fact that the last "traditional" Thanksgiving I had was in 2011 because 2012 was spent on an island eating fish and 2013 was spent in Sweden. Anyways, I love Thanksgiving and it was a good time to reminisce. 
 

This week, we started the He is the Gift initiative. It is a short film that was made by the church to remind people of the real purpose of Christmas. It is short, simple, and touching. I get a little teary-eyed every time I watch it. As missionaries, we have been asked to contact with this film. We have already shown it to people, and it is awesome. We have noticed that people love talking about Christmas, and we can easily refer to what we believe in.
Have you seen the video? If not, check it out at christmas.mormon.org and share it! It really has helped me remember why Christmas is celebrated. Not for presents, or food, or sales, but for family, service, and the Savior. 
Keep your head up, everyone. CHRISTMAS IS COMING!  
 
 
 
 
Christmas is here in Sweden!
 
 
There is a Tanning Salon RIGHT by our apartment. It is such a temptation to walk by it every cold, winter evening. I miss the sun! 
 
 
 
It was a foggy week!
 
And a little note to all of my friends and family. I am a horrible person and will not be sending Christmas gifts this year. I just think it will be nicer to give them to you in person in February. Which is freakishly close... Also! Please don't send Christmas presents! You all already do too much. And my suitcases are packed. haha. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment